Guys, today, I will tell you about Smocking embroidery. I love to work on this embroidery. In this post, I have shared my work as well.
I am going to explain step by step how to do stocking embroidery.
- Firstly we make horizontal and vertical lines of the fabric which will look like a graph or squares. Make lines with pencil, chalk or any other thing but make sure something which can be removed easily from the fabric. With the help of lines, we can maintain the distance equally. For this smocking, I mark the lines on half inches, you can take it on your own.
- After that, if you want then you can do running stitch on the intersection points of vertical lines only. But keep the thread open on both the sides of fabric so that you can pull the thread easily. If you don’t want to do the running stitch, then start smocking directly with the help of intersection points.
- Begin from the top of the fabric, hold the two edges of the square and pinch (sew) it with the thread until it gets stiff. I used anchor thread for finishing. You can choose any normal thread also.
- You can follow the vertical square or can follow down up squares. It’s your choice.
These are the steps for basic smocking. Even we can use beads, French knots.
There is one more technique I’ll talk about. Instead of taking the needle down, let the needle move continue to the upper fabric towards the next square. So that the thread is visible.
- One more thing, smaller we do the smocking, lesser the stretchability.
Every year, a fashion show is held by INIFD (my college) where the final year students showcase their collections. In this fashion show, I helped my senior. I did smocking on the front yoke and sleeves of the dresses.
I am making my dress using this embroidery but it is not completed yet. I promise that as soon as my dress is ready, I will show you.