So, let’s start with my class experiences. From May 16, 2016 to June 12, 2017, it was orientation period in college. The purpose of orientation was to give students a platform where students could be introduced to fashion before the commencement of classes and also, to introduce to each other.
I have so much to tell you about orientation because that was a whole new experience for me. But I will try to cover the whole orientation period in some posts. This is the first post in the orientation series. I will tell you about some of the classes that left an impact on me from learning, entertainment and experience perspective.
- In the orientation, I remember one class in which we had to get a print out of walking figure. We had to copy it and cut it into the proper shape. Now we were supposed to select designs from magazines and cut it in a way that made a dress. Next step was to paste the paper dresses on the figure that we had cut. From this exercise, we got to see our creativity. After the class, there was a group photo and we were given homework also. We were supposed to make at least 2-3 dresses in this way. The next day, our work was displayed in the foyer area and it was the most interesting thing which I could remember.
- There was also an illustration class in which I learned how to handle the pencil and how to make a gradient. The most interesting thing in this class was that I learned about how to make face features. Special focus was given to nose, eyes and lips. I like to draw even before joining college so, I enjoyed this class a lot.
- Before this class, we had to bring an old T-shirt. I had no t-shirt so when I told that to my cousin brother, he said that no need to buy a new t-shirt. You could take my t-shirt. I had no idea that it will be cut next day. When I reached the class, I came to know that it will be cut. In this class, we were taught how to make a design in an interesting way and how to give a new design to an ordinary t-shirt. After learning this, I also cut my t-shirt into a top. I was very happy to see this because it was made by me. That top was looking very cool but when my cousin saw his t-shirt turned top, his wordings were, “Don’t expect me to wear this”. We all had a good laugh.
- When there was an embroidery class, we were supposed to bring anchor threads. Anchor threads are used in embroidery. In class, we learned basic stitching and after learning the stitches, I made an embroidery in form of rose flower. This class was easy for me because I knew some basic stitching already. Also, I learned some new things and new ways of doing things.
- During orientation, apart from practical classes, theory class were also there. We were supposed to do research on designers and different brands and then make a presentation on it. From this research work, I got to know about famous brands and designers. Also, I got to know how these brands were started. Learning about the history of fashion was a good learning experience for me.
Here are some pics from the above classes.
That’s it for the first part. I will write more about orientation in coming posts.
Stay tuned and don’t break your new year resolution. 🙂